Monday, September 6, 2010

Why I'm a Voracious Reader

I guess I could blame summer heat and my mother.

When I was growing up in Laurel, Maryland in the 1950s not too many places were air-conditioned. The Laurel move theater had a huge sign stating that it was - a great boon to sales. Our little family apartment over the barbershop was certainly not air-conditioned and on hot summer days, Mom would take me and my little sister, Pattie, a couple of blocks up Main Street to the Laurel Library - it was air conditioned.
I still can remember how the library looked and smelled. I remember the feel and the smell of the small red books for children. I still remember exactly where The Witch of Blackbird Pond (my very favorite young adult book when I was in my tweens) was shelved.
Until I was eight years old and we moved away, the library was within walking distance of our apartment and a place I could go any time. I learned to love books. I learned to love reading.

As I grew up (and grew out) books became my friends. I had "real" friends, of course, I was bright and funny. But I was also overweight. My teenage years were not peppered with dates and fun times. I rarely went out with friends. I would stay home and read. I read and read and read. I've been told that my large collection of books could be a form of protection - walls of books to keep people outside.

Or maybe I just love to read and value the books I've read.  I don't read as opposed to having a social life, so I don't believe in the wall of books theory.
I read because I enjoy reading.
I read because books and their authors take me to places and times I've never been to - may never get to.
I read because it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment