Wednesday, September 8, 2010

September 8 - Stieg

Sometimes I wake up thinking about Morgan, my significant other, which makes him sound a bit paranormal (not necessarily false).
Today I woke up thinking about Stieg - Stieg Larsson.

I didn't order the biography. I don't need another book to read. But I really wanted to know about the man who'd written so eloquently about violence against women. So last night I decided to Google him.
I found:
A New York Times Article
A Huffington Post Article on the fourth (unfinished?) novel

There's other, many other, articles but I had the time to read these two. I'm not surprised at the intrigue surrounding his estate and the unfinished book. Of course, it's a multimillion dollar venture. I read that Larsson felt he was securing his and his partner's retirement by writing this series (that he'd envision as ten books)*, but I doubt if he thought it would ever be like this. And I doubt if he thought his family and the woman he loved would be squabbling over the money - past, present and future. But, of course, he didn't think he would die at 50.
What does this teach me, another writer, hopefully with a series one day:
1. Don't smoke and eat fast food
2. Try to stay in shape
3. Have a will
What did I learn about Stieg Larsson, the man?
He was someone who didn't compromise his ideals. He made sure he was true to those ideals. He fought for them until his death and wove them into his books.
I should be so good a person.

*Stieg and JK: They both envisioned a series of books with twist and turns. How did they do it? Can I do it? Can I tap into the uncharted territory of my own brain - the area Stephen King calls "the boys in the basement" or my "girls in the kitchen"? I need to think about that some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment