Saturday, September 25, 2010

Quietus by Vivian Schilling

I finally finished Quietus, the very disturbing dark novel about destiny.
One of the overriding themes of the book was the ancient legend of the Nephilim. This morning I found a NaturalPlane blog in my email. The lead-off article was about these beings.

The novel was disturbing because it left one's destiny to fate. Ouietus's story:  If one is supposed to die at a certain time and didn't, then the beings from the underworld would return for you at another time. Kylie O'Rourke's trip through death, life and then another pending death.

Blurbs on the cover and inside the book compare it to King or Koontz.
Maybe.
At 600 pages it was as long as either one of those author's recent books. However, I would have edited this book down. Psychological drama can be more tense when the writing is spare.

Now saying that, I also have to admit that the writing, the characters, the theme caused me several difficult nights - especially if I'd read it right before going to bed.

I could find only one other book written by Schilling, Sacred Prey. Her website states that this book, about a murderer who must seek his own redemption, was optioned by Warner Brothers. Scared Prey was published in 1994 and Quietus in 2002.

I hope we hear more from Schilling. I can stand a few more sleepless nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment