Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Change of Pace...

In between The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and Quietus, I've been rereading Pride and Prejudice.
Of course Jane Austen's P&P is a completely different type of book. Can you say "whiplash"?
I've returned to P&P for a very good reason. The book club at work picked it and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith. I'd recently read P&P&Z but wanted to refresh my memory of the original since we'll be discussing both books. And for the third or fourth time I find myself once again drawn into the world of the Bennetts, Bingleys, Darcys, et al.
In the course of reading P&P I found the answer from Charles Bingley when asked by his sister about a ball at Netherfield Park*:

"As for the ball, it is quite a settled thing;
and as soon as Nicholls has made white soup enough
I shall send round my cards."

Just what is "white soup" and why was it important? Well, according to The Jane Austen Centre , white soup was a very fashionable Regency dish served at balls. The Centre's website included the recipe and I considered making it, but I don't eat veal and I'm not that fond of chicken. And besides that would, at least right now, be too much like Julie making Julia Child's recipes. But I did bookmark the site for another time.

And now back to Stockholm...   

* I really must find out the meaning of that name. 

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to read all these books, Mitzi. I want to schedule in more time to read. Planning to do so on my trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes every time I take a time out to read, I feel as if I'm on vacation.

    ReplyDelete