Monday, September 6, 2010

August Reads

1. The Lost City - Clive Cussler, et al. This was another NOMA-centered story and Cussler has become a formula-writer, or his partners have. I still enjoy listening to these books and every so often they lead me to a new idea; however, still not as well-written or exciting as the Preston/Child books. (see #2).

2. Thunderhead - Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child. This was the second book I read on my Blackberry - which I found was not a difficult thing to do, especially this book. I've always been fascinated with the Anaszi, the Ancient Ones, and how they lived and then suddenly disappeared in the American Southwest. This book is not an exciting thriller but it shows the reader how an archeological study is performed - from beginning to almost-end. Because of this book, I bought two other books about the Anaszi, one by Douglas Preston and Morgan and I are planning a trip to that area when I retire.

3. The Codex- Douglas Preston. Can you tell I'm a huge fan? This was the third Blackberry book. I picked this one because the plot centers around finding a Mayan Codex that has been reburied. My own book, The Last Prophecy, (which I'm revising) also mentions a Mayan Codex. This is another thriller - a bit of archeology and with a lot of anthropology thrown in. I do pick books that have themes that interest me.

4. Cross- James Patterson. I listened to Cross again. I rarely repeat books, there's just too many. But I fell in love with Alex Cross from the first book and, along with The Cat Who books, reread/listen to them. Actually I listened to this in preparation for Double Cross. I think the Cross series was the best Patterson has done and when he branched out and/or let others "assist" he lost me. I want more of Alex. Heck, if I didn't have Morgan, I would love to have Alex - although it's just getting past NanaMomma that would be the problem.

5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson. I admit that I started this book out of curiosity. I know the man's dead and that gives it a hint of mystery. And set in Sweden? Pfft...boooor-ing. I know it's been on the best seller list for umpteen weeks, so I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. Even though I felt the beginning was a bit slow, I stuck with it and boy! am I glad I did. I loved, loved, loved this book. I couldn't wait to get back to reading it. I fell into it - just what I love to do with a book. I found myself admiring Lisbeth, a social outcast (Hmm? Sisters under the tattoo?). I found myself wanting to read more. Damn, the man, uping and dying like that. How many great books have we lost because of that. Damn, you Stieg. You should have stopped smoking years ago! I'm now going to get a biography about him. I may even visit...gasp! Sweden because of him...

Now onto September and The Girl Who Played with Fire (you knew I would HAVE to read that next).

No comments:

Post a Comment