Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What Stieg Larsson is Teaching Me about Sweden...

I'm half-way through The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'm devouring it. I love the action and suspense and I bonded with Lisbeth 2 books ago. (More on that in a later post). But I'm also learning about Sweden - something I wouldn't have spent time doing if not for Stieg (and yes, I can call him by his first name - I feel I know him that well now).

Stieg's descriptions of Sweden, specific neighborhoods in Stockholm and vacation areas in the countryside, make me want to visit. I've never had a desire to go to Sweden. I mean like I'm a chubby dark-haired old second generation Italian. Do I really want to be walking around among tall, blond, good-looking Swedes? Uh...like..no. But now....I would love to spend time in a cabin in the Swedish countryside. Besides, I now know how to use a compost toilet (one of the appliances mentioned when Stieg writes about the cabins).I want to walk through Lisbeth's neighborhood, Blomkvist's neighborhood, see the building that houses Millennium magazine - all fictional, of course but the neighborhoods are real.

However, Sweden, as viewed by Stieg Larsson, seems to be a hot-bed of political intrigue - more so than the US, even today. This could be a result of Stieg's many years of political activism and journalism. The books do express his political ideals.

Still, I would like to eventually visit Sweden - maybe even take one of The Girl Who tours.

Now...just what do Lisbeth and Mitzi have in common...lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment