Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Meaning of Today

I had an idea for a blog post today when I woke up but when I remembered what today was, I decided to change my idea.

As you probably realize, gentle reader, I have a home full of books. Many of those books are esoteric, unusual subjects. Many are about an ancient religion with a new name, Wicca. My Wicca books sit alongside my Bibles. I don't find that at all a problem. The religions of Jehovah were based in the very beginnings of my religion, many thousands of years ago.

I firmly believe in many paths to a Single Source. I believe that you can be lead along that path by The Great Spirit, Grandmother Spiderwoman, Jesus, Jehovah, Goddess, Mohamed, Buddha.... It makes no difference; as long as you follow the teachings of that belief. All of these religions honor life, nature and family - is there anything else?

Sometimes when I need a reminder of my beliefs, I go to one of those books.

This morning, I went to my Bible (a witch who reads the Bible - who knew?) and just opened a page in the New Testament:
My doctrine is not mine but he who sent me.*
John 7-16

And then I opened another book: Apprentice to Power: A Wiccan Odyssey to Spiritual Awakening by Timothy Roderick:
Chaos: From immediate experience comes powerful knowledge.

Do we really know who sent the Teacher Jesus, or the Prophet Mohamed for that matter? The American Indians call him/her The Great Spirit. I call her/him Goddess. Others call him Allah. The important thing is the message. 

Belief in a higher power. Love each other. Respect the earth and those on it.

I pray that we can learn from our "immediate experience".


* The word "he" was not capitalized in my Bible (The Holy Bible, Illustrated Rainbow Edition I received in Sunday School many, many years ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment