Friday, September 24, 2010

Saying Good-bye to Stockholm

I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest today and I realized that maybe it was Blomkvist, the investigative reporter, that interested me. Fifty-some years ago I wanted to be a reporter. As a teenager I wanted to go to college, major in journalism with a minor in political science. I remember reading the Washington Post before going to school, thinking I wanted to be one of its writers. Sometimes I joke that I could have been Woodward or Bernstein.

Was the Blomkvist character autobiographical for Larsson? After reading articles about Larsson's own crusading journalism, I would have to say yes.

So maybe it was Blomkvist, the journalist, not Lisbeth, the computer-savant. Maybe Blomkvist represented a lost dream - what I once wanted to be.

Maybe it's Blomkvist I'll miss and not Lisbeth.

I loved Lisbeth but I wanted to be Blomkvist.

No comments:

Post a Comment