Monday, September 20, 2010

Sunday was a day to rest...

Well, that's my excuse for missing a day.
But I did read. I immersed myself in Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest again. I'm beginning to understand Lisbeth and why I'm drawn to her - why Larsson is drawn to her.
To be blunt: "She takes no s--t from no one."
Even when she had little money she didn't bow to anyone for a job.
She does what's right for Lisbeth; not only because it's right for her, but it's what's...well...right.
For Lisbeth Salander there is no gray - only black or white,
She's a vigilante in the purest sense of the word. In Larsson's books she becomes a vigilante because her world is violated. In another time, in another country, I can see her being a gunslinger roaming the West, making wrongs right.
I admire another thing about her - her computer abilities.
Even in my dotage I love my electronic toys - my Blackberry, my Kindle, my laptop.
I love Skype and seeing Heather 3000 miles away.
I would love to have Lisbeth's computer talents. I don't know what I would do with them - maybe just exactly what Lisbeth does.

And then there's Blomkvist, the crusading journalist, who may be fashioned on Larsson himself.
Fifty years ago I wanted to go to college, to major in journalism with a minor in political science with my teenage goal to write for the Washington Post.
We all know that didn't happen. I went to nursing school and the "rest is history." Well, maybe not big history, but my history. That could be another reason why I'm drawn to these books, not just Lisbeth but Blomkvist.
Once upon a time I wanted to be him.
Now I want to be her.

My next book to finish for September will be The Hunger Games....disturbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment