Tuesday, September 7, 2010

September 7 - Disturbing

I may be using that word frequently this month.
In addition to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, I've been reading Quietus by Vivian Shilling.
I found Shilling's book while foraging through a used book sale for the Oley Valley Community Library.
There is no Oley Library, hence the book sale. I also bought the memorial edition of Profiles in Courage (immediately borrowed by Olivia). I started reading Quietus in August. I'm still reading it - unusual for me.
It's taken me weeks because the story is...well...disturbing. It's not blood and guts; it's psychological and that's more difficult to get through.
As for the writing: if Shilling were a bit more spare with her words/descriptions, this book would be a literary gothic like The Little Stranger. But even with the small albeit amateurish problems, it's the kind of book that gives you bad dreams.
It gave me bad dreams one night while Morgan and I were staying in the cabin in the woods. I love the cabin. I love the woods and the sounds of the night and the absolute darkness. But this night I'd fallen asleep reading Shillington's book and the disturbing dreams...the nightmares...came. I rarely have nightmares, vivid dreams, yes, nightmares, no.
Quietus gave me nightmares. That's why I'm taking my time reading it.
But I am still reading it before I go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment