Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Shelleys and George Gordon, Lord Byron

I've immersed myself in early 19th century Europe today while trying to get rid of this terrible bronchitis. I've learned so much about these very talented and very flawed (by any standard) people - more than I ever learned in school. In fact information I would never had been taught in school, at least not in a high school in the 1960s.

I found myself wondering if in getting the gift of genius means you give up something else - for these people, a sense of responsibility to themselves, their families. Percy Bysse Shelley was a self-involved child who never grew up, not even when he was married and a father. To all of them (the women less than the men for they always had to care for the children), the discussion of the intellect and creativity was more important than anything else. Of course they also came to adulthood during a time of great social upheaval - but they seem to take it a few steps too far.

The correlation between Frankenstein's monster and Mary Shelley's life is remarkable. A mother who died giving birth and father who rejected her when she ran off with a married Shelley - so very much like the motherless monster also rejected by his creator.

So now I'd like to learn how Dr, Polidori came to write Vampyre,  inspired by the time he spent with Byron and the Shelleys. I think I have an idea - blood suckers all around.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment