Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Hunger Games and Reality TV

An afternoon on the sofa with a cat on my lap and trying not to cough (me, not the cat): I finished reading the first book in The Hunger Games series.

The premise of the book bothers me but the story was so well-written that I'll be reading the other two books in the series. Maybe it was the medicine or my own twisted viewpoint but I could see the TV show "Survivor" morph into the Hunger Games.

Reality television is becoming TMI: Too Much Information...from Hoarders to Bridezillas to the Real Housewives of anywhere. I admit watching some of these shows of virtual self-destruction in front of a camera crew. It seems that each new season ups the ante for the participant in search of viewers, ratings and money.

In a post-apocalyptic world it's not a stretch for one to imagine a televised program of young people fighting to the death to assure that their District is well-fed and their own family safe. And that the government, not a TV channel, sponsors this "show", not only to keep the people entertained, but to also show the "Capitol's" power over the individual Districts - a necessity after a failed rebellion.

I wonder if the next books will take a George Lucas turn and tell the reader more about the rebellion.
As they say in TV land (and "on" TV Land), stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment