Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Camelot Caper - Elizabeth Peters

A lover of all things Arthurian, I picked this book for the title.
I found that I had not read any of Elizabeth Peters historical mysteries/romances and that surprised me. She's very prolific and I really should have found her before this.

The Camelot Caper was originally published in 1969 with several reprintings until the 2001 Avon paperback I bought at The Book Rack in Allentown (one of my haunts). Knowing that it was a book from 1969 does help the reader with understanding some of the clothes (short yellow suit on the heroine) and the fact that there were no cell phones.

I did find the plot a bit simplistic and wondered if the "villains" would actually do what Peters' bad guys were doing. But maybe that goes back to the 1969 era and the fact that I've been reading Jonathan Maberry and listening to James Rollins, authors with more intricate plot variations.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes of very familiar places to me, from Glastonbury to Cadbury Plateau to St; Ives, places I've been and love.

Peters does write beautiful descriptions:
Glastonbury, under a full spring moon, was sheer romance, 
a shining ghost of what had never been, a truth that was eternal 
because it had lived, never in time, but in the hearts of men.
If that doesn't describe the Arthurian legend, nothing does.

The Camelot Caper is a lovely escape into England. Just don't yell, "Use your cell phone," to the heroine.

No comments:

Post a Comment