Friday, March 6, 2009

Voluntary Madness - My Year Lost and Found in the Loony Bin - Nora Vincent

I was perusing the cart of the books at the Allentown Library when I came across this title and immediately picked it up. I'd recognized it probably because I'd read about it somewhere - possibly in the New York Times Book Review. I don't remember the review. I remembered the title and the subject.

Norah Vincent is the author of "Self-Made Man", a recounting of her time spent living as a man - reminiscent of the famous "Black Like Me".

Unlike "Self-Made Man", Vincent didn't have to take on the mantle of mental illness to write this book. She'd already spent some time in (in her words) "the bin" for major depression. The reader discovers, along with Vincent, as she travels through the psychiatric inpatient system (only for journalism at first) at various levels of payment (not care), the reasons behind this depression.

We also discover, with the author, how she decides to manage her illness.

I was captured by the eloquent yet clear narrative and as an RN and someone diagnosed with major depression, I found the book eye-opening and inspiring.

Five witchy hats (out of five) to Vincent's newest piece of reality journalism. I only hope she doesn't decide to write a book about surviving heart surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment